Distinction between configuration, personalization, and extensibility.
Configuration provides setup and administrative choices using the native features of the product. Some configuration examples include:
- Profile Options
- User-defined fields (Flexfield)
- Function Security Setup
- Data Security Setup
- and a lot more….
Personalization enables you to declaratively tailor the UI look-and-feel, layout or visibility of page content to suit a business need or a user preference. Some personalization examples include:
- Tailor the order in which table columns are displayed.
- Tailor a query result.
- Tailor the color scheme of the UI.
- Folder Forms
- Forms Personalization
- Oracle Application Framework (OAF)
Extensibility is about extending the functionality of an application beyond what can be done through personalization. Some extensibility examples include:
- Add new functional flows
- Extend or override existing business logic
- Using Oracle Forms Developer, Oracle JDeveloper and Oracle Workflow